Powerful speech by Nasrallah. Here are some key points (keep in mind this is not a word-for-word translation) :
- The Israelis have been lying about a number of things.
- Our resistance fighters faced Israeli tanks trying to enter Ayta al-Sha’b, the first was destroyed. Then came another, and it too was destroyed, then came a third, and it, too was destroyed.
- The Israelis claimed a civilian ship was also struck by a HezbAllah rocket. We assure you that we have solid proof that this ship was in fact not targeted by HezbAllah.
- We have been very moderate and reserved in our reactions, and on the first day responded by targeting only military bases, and I assure you, we had many achievements in targeting strategic facilities and air reinforcement bases.
- We were patient, but the Israelis took our patience in the wrong way. We are moderating our reaction but that does not mean that this will always be the case.
- The Israelis claim they destroyed HezbAllah missile batteries, but I can assure you, the houses that were hit were civilian houses, and there were no missiles nor fighters there, only civilians. I can assure you that our missile stockpiles are intact, and we have LOTS of it.
- To the Lebanese:
- Do not worry about the material damage, material damage can be repaired, everything can be rebuilt. We promise that we will do our share and take our responsibility in this, and we assure you that we have many friends who are willing to provide us as much help as possible without any political conditions.
- It is us, and not the Israeli enemy that defines where, when, and what. We decide the time and place.
- The Israelis look down upon us, insisting that those fighting them are Iranians, as if we as Arabs and Lebanese are inferior and cannot fight.
- To the Arab and Islamic Worlds:
- Today, this very sensitive situation provides an opportunity to unite. You have seen the Arab League, they even admitted their inability to achieve peace, your leaders are helpless. If you let this go on – and it is none of my business if you wish to do so – then the Zionist enemy, and its master USA will only increase their strength and power over our peoples, stealing our resources, imposing their values on us. At any rate it is your choice. This is not a call for uprising, I am merely pointing out that this is a huge opportunity to stand up and unite, and not fall prey to our enemies’ attempts to sow civil and sectarian strife in our midst.